View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 15,206 Times in 4,162 Posts
Default LCP Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbolt View Post
Old cop, just out of curiosity, did your LCP have the mag catch release the mag when you carried it in a front pocket holster? If so, did you carry anything else in that pocket, like the spare mag or a key fob?

Or, did you pocket carry it in a rear pocket? If you're right-handed, I could see sitting on the LCP, oriented for a RH draw (especially is using a soft holster), exposing the mag catch button to be "pressed".

If in the front pocket, and nothing else was present to depress the mag catch button, and your holster was the right type for the LCP (meaning not pressing against the mag catch button). I'd be on the phone to Ruger to ask them to have it checked. (I'd also ask the gun store from which you bought it to send it back on their shipping account, if possible, unless Ruger will front you the shipping label. )

I finally tried the "revised" LCP (produced post-Recall) after trying a friend's LCP, and having seen some come through our range. It was a blued/carbon steel slide model.

Despite the diminutive grip frame and rudimentary sights, I could run it through our normal off-duty qual course-of-fire and get fast, solid hits out to reasonable ranges. It wasn't a little pistol that could be reloaded quickly (and I have medium-sized hands), as juggling the itty bitty mags into the itty bitty grip frame wasn't as easy as loading my small 9's, .40's and .45's, and the slide not locking back on an empty mag didn't exactly help matters.

Handy little front pocket-holstered gun, though, especially when I was wearing jeans that had pockets too short and tight to let me pocket holster one of my many J-frames. It fed, fired and ejected the different JHP loads we normally had on hand, and what I bought at the store. Surprisingly accurate.

I liked it so much I ordered the stainless slide version from a local cop shop where I'd bought the first one, and it had the improved trigger pull and slightly better sights.

The only changes I made to either LCP was to use a trimmed robber grip sleeve (to cushion my middle finger knuckle) and put a dab of bright nail polish on the sights, to make it easier to see the little sights out past "close range". I use the Uncle Mike's No. 1 soft cloth pocket holsters for my pair of them.

That friend of mine who let me try his LCP? Well, I learned a little while ago that it had suffered a broken frame on each side of the rear frame pin. I don't know what he'll do with it, as since he's retired he can't buy any more off-roster handguns. (No more peace officer exemption.) Not sure Ruger could replace his gun with one with another one, unless they were willing to make a new one with the same serial number. Dunno. I told him to call Ruger and talk to them about it.

Why did his LCP frame break? Well, I'd not be surprised if it was because he shot the damned thing all the time on his rural property, at his own range, and has done so for the last few years. He's never used any "hot-rodded" ammo, but only good quality factory .380 ammo. Even so, I'd have to wonder if Ruger ever really intended for the LCP to be a gun that was constantly used for range work, instead of a "carried often/shot a little" sort of gun.

My LCP was carried in my left front (I’m a leftie) pocket w/nothing else in that pocket. A spare mag was carried in the watch pocket of my jeans. I’ve never carried in my back pocket or anywhere else except the L/F pocket in the cloth pocket holster provided by Ruger. I’ve tried other pocket holsters but they made no difference w/respect to the mag coming lose now and then. I have added the Hogue rubber grip sleeve to the gun but made no other changes other than some front sight paint.

Last edited by Old cop; 06-17-2018 at 12:43 PM.