View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 06:45 PM

Liked 3,247 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
I was considering a micro .380 for certain niche use(when I'm in tropical climates) and I've looked over countless videos, reviews and comments on just about every .380 out there and pretty much every one has enough negative feedback on them to make me leery. None demonstrate the consistent documented reliability I want to see. The only exception MIGHT be the current production Glock 42 since it seems as if they have most of the problems worked out. However, the G42 is relatively large for a .380, so it kind of defeats the purpose for me since it doesn't offer any size and weight advantage over an s&w airweight. Plus, I'm kind of on the fence regarding .380 being adequate for defensive purposes. The smallest autoloader I currently own is the G26 and it has proven reliable although I rarely carry it since I favor the snubby.
I have/had a few .380's. The ones that have been totally reliable have been my LCP's and my Sig P290RS. I had a couple Glock 42's and a Taurus TCP that had issues. The Glock's went back three times before they worked correctly. The TCP never has worked correctly. The TCP is worthless for anything other than a paperweight.

I've seen complaints and praises for each of those models.

I've come to the conclusion that all micro .380's are right at the margins of what will work in a locked breech semi-auto (I think that's the correct term) with commercial .380 pistol rounds. IMO, it's not a matter picking the right brand of .380. It's finding a specific pistol. More probably work than don't, but the failure rates for all of them seem to be pretty high.

That's been my experience. YMMV.