View Single Post

Old 06-17-2018, 09:55 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,960 Times in 3,660 Posts

Let me admit right up front I have not read all that precedes this, so arguing I'm not---simply presenting an opinion----and a few facts to support the opinion.

Opinion: A "factory letter", by whatever name one might choose to call it recites the content of the factory's records on any given item (beyond the boilerplate preceding the recitation). I'm quite certain I cannot be the only one to discover (by way of a letter) that the factory records are not always correct---nor are they always complete. A few cases in point: My .32 caliber, 8" 1st Model Single Shot pistol letters as a 10" .22. The barrel length of my 6" 2nd Model Single Shot is unknown. The caliber of my NM #3 Target (those chambered only in 32-44 S&W and 38-44 S&W---according to every book I have---which is pretty much all of them) chambered in "38 WINCHESTER CTG" is unknown.

So---a letter of "authenticity" it ain't---unless it's deemed to be authenticating the records instead of the gun. And given my experiences noted above, that's exactly what the letter is doing-----reciting the records----and I'm told that's the only game in town.

Ralph Tremaine
The Following User Likes This Post: