View Single Post

Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Liked 725 Times in 258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
Baker... faced many difficulties with that patent...Problem One is that the typical patent attorney... is not really very good at understanding the essence of what is to be patented. Prob Two is neither he/she, nor the inventor, have a breadth or depth of understanding the prior art... Prob Three then, was the belt slide holsters that already had outboard slots... Prob Four is that the claims were... limited to a reversible holster...

All the other makers had to do, was make it 'not reversible'. Or -- not use three slots. Or -- not surround the slots with a complete stitchline. You'll see these solutions in all pancakes of the era...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
...It was derived from this Clark crossdraw introduced in the Thirties...

Attachment 342652

Attachment 342653
Red, thanks for sharing your insight.

I grew up not far south of the state line between central Louisiana and Arkansas. I have been to Magnolia, AR several times, but, not to the location of Roy Baker’s shop. Although I was too young to personally purchase a handgun in the early to mid 1970s, it was indisputable that Roy’s Pancake holster was overwhelmingly popular.

It seems to me that the actual "innovation and utility", of Baker's design was a two panel holster with the location of a belt slot "forward" of the pocket. Having researched patents and vintage copies of Gun Digest, American Rifleman, G&A, Shooting Times, etc.; I haven't been able to find similar "prior art." I would be interested to know of any examples.

Last edited by muzzleblast; 06-18-2018 at 09:56 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: