Thread: Dogs again
View Single Post

Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Liked 2,520 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal44 View Post
I know it works on wasps, as I've used it many times and never been stung.
If you were standing in your garage and the wasp spray was the only thing within reach, I think you'd be ok using it defensively. Carrying it around may be another matter.

Some of us are recommending the bear spray because the nozzle is designed to lay out a wall of spray instead of a stream. The stream must be aimed at, and connect with, the face of a moving animal- not so easy. The fog type of nozzle on the bear spray puts out a force field between where you're standing and the animal, such that it has to run through the pepper fog to get to you.

The downside to any spray is the wind- and especially with a fog type of spray. It may come back at you.

Wasp spray offers no advantages over a pepper spray- the cans are bigger and harder to carry, spray button is not designed to immediate use, and spray a stream of chemicals that may or may not do the job. If the dog were to suffer some permanent damage you could be on the hook for it; not because you were defending yourself, but because you choose to deploy a chemical agent that wasn't designed to do what you used it for (total theory though, not a lwayer).
The Following User Likes This Post: