View Single Post

Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,551 Times in 5,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswhitcr View Post
Rear Sight correction: I stated earlier the rear sight is proprietary, but turns out, only from the outside. Remove the two screws holding the sight in the top strap and it reveals a recessed groove and rear U notch cut into the top strap very much like a late model Smith set up for adjustable sights. The pictured Sarsilmaz rear sight strangely does not hook into the rear notch found on Smith adjustable sights, but relies on the screws alone. Sure looks like it is set up to use a Smith standard adjustable rear. But... the recess channel cut in the Sarsilmaz top strap, is dimensionally .001 too narrow to take a Smith rear sight. So close. Aftermarket rear mounts designed for Smiths, also do not fit without, well...fitting. It's so close a non-fit, that I might give Sarsilmaz credit for too just tight a tolerance. Their own rear sight fits perfectly.

If you go so far to modify your replacement sight base, the screw holes for attaching a Smith rear sight strap are in the right place, though only in the two forward most positions, not three as normally found on a late model Smith. You would have to reuse the Sarsilmaz's screws to secure the mount, as it appears the threads are different (but don't quote me on that one. I just visually inspected, and hesitate to damage the threads trying out my "Smith" screws).

So, interchangeability with Smith parts? Only sort of, and only if you break out the sanding block and narrow up your standard Smith (and aftermarket) rear sight mounts. I might do it to get that scope rail or red dot to mount, but some may balk at having magnum recoil held back with only two screws. More investigating to do.
That looks like an LPA rear sight (or copy of one)

Image courtesy of LPA Italy

Here is the fiber optic LPA mounted on my 627 Pinto

Last edited by colt_saa; 06-19-2018 at 01:33 PM.