View Single Post

Old 06-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Liked 338 Times in 94 Posts

I bought a 29-2 last Saturday that was stubborn to open.

I had a new replacement cylinder rod and a new extractor in my parts inventory, so I simply took the cylinder rod from one of my other 29s that opened just fine and saw the new one was 1/16” or so longer.

No kidding, I pulled out my Leatherman tool and used the diamond file and literally some spit to lubricate it as I didn’t feel like going upstairs to the kitchen and getting some water. My gun stuff and reloading bench is in the basement. Now THAT’s being lazy, I know.

All I had to do was lay the file on my bench, lubricate it with a few drops and, holding the new rod in one hand and the Leatherman against the bench with the other, proceed to file down the extra length. I rotated the rod a 1/3 turn every 20 strokes across the file or so to keep it even.

Four or five minutes later, after cleaning the debris off with a paper towel and “relubricating,” it was short enough to be below the end of the extractor rod. However, it was just a smidge too short now, just a hair.

So I did the same thing with the tapered end near the knurling of the new extractor rod, shortened it just a touch. Held it vertical to the file, turned it a third turn every 10 strokes or so and in less than a minute it was good to go. It probably took 40 strokes, if that. I used very light pressure.

Worked like a charm.

Last edited by jmclfrsh; 06-20-2018 at 12:32 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: