View Single Post

Old 06-20-2018, 04:03 PM

Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts

Rats.

Just picked it up from the gunsmith this morning. He fitted a heavier recoil spring (which increased the trigger pull noticeably) and he fired about 40 rounds with no failures (using ammo I supplied). I immediately took it to the range and fired one box of intermediate-level .44 Mag and one box of full-power ammo. All my firing was done single action, with about 25 rounds from a sandbag rest (only the barrel touching the sandbags) andnthe rest standing offhand.

I had four failures in those 100 rounds, with two with each kind of ammo. The cylinder unlocked under recoil (unnoticed at the time of firing) and rotated one position. If it rotated backwards, then the next pull of the hammer/trigger resulted in the hammer striking the chamber that had just been fired. If it skipped forward, the failure would initially go unnoticed until a previously fired round arrived in the firing position. In that case, the round that had been skipped might be found at the six o’clock position, or somewhere else.

Frustrating.

He’s determined to fix this, and isn’t charging me anything additional, but it’s still a nuisance having to bring it back (he is about 30 minutes away from home).

To reiterate, he has fitted an oversized cylinder stop, extra strength cylinder stop spring, and now a stronger recoil spring. This pistol did have a trigger job done when almost new. Could the trigger itself be contributing to the problem?

Last edited by Pantera Mike; 06-20-2018 at 04:06 PM.