View Single Post

Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM

Liked 693 Times in 292 Posts

The tried & true .357 Mag is devastating no doubt. It's like a lower velocity rifle round. Im a fan & user of larger calibers; .40 & .45 etc. They work & make bigger holes & big holes bleed faster. The .357 however does make a big hole but internally. Look at autopsy results; it is the nasty of nasties as far as HG rounds go. Yes a smack dead on CNS shut down is ideal but people are tough & don't stand still. Regardless the kinetic energy dumped anywhere into a human body by a .357 is pretty nasty.

My father back in the police wheelgun days used Rem. 125 Gr SJHP's. They blistered along over 1400 fps. He never had to shoot a baddy but some of his colleagues did. The results were generally death. The tissue was destroyed & bones were smushed to oblivion.

I've seen .357 mags used in felonious assaults & suicides. The word: messy says it all! None of the current PD calibers do that kind of damage. Especially the newest darling: the 9mm. I'm still using my trusty .40's and will after I retire. I see no need to downgrade to smaller. The .40 has nearly 30 years on the job just like the .357 had decades of service in LE. Time will tell if this newest crop of wonder 9mm bullets will live up to the hype.

What I hear & see is a lot of speculation & conjecture about the 9mm's effectiveness. The .357 mag has been proven on living targets for decades...bipedal & quadrupedal.