View Single Post

Old 06-21-2018, 05:54 PM

Liked 7,749 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
For routine maintenance I always recommend neutral shoe polish, lightly applied to exterior surfaces, buffed with a soft cloth.

Basically just an inert wax, provides some protection against moisture and surface abrasion without saturating the leather. The neutral polish has no dye content so it won't stain clothing. If you have minor scratches or abrasions to deal with those can be touched up with leather dye (or a felt-tip of the proper color), then apply the neutral shoe polish.

Oily or greasy preparations are to be avoided because over time they will saturate the leather, softening it and overcoming the form-fitting qualities.
Ray's advice is excellent though I don't follow it. That is, using neutral shoe polish has all those benefits and adds a hard shell of protection against bangs and scratches. It is not, of course, what holster manufacturers do; and so I follow in their footsteps and suggest either Fiebings harness dressing or tan kote. On the other hand they can't be had at the local suoermarket like shoe wax!