Thread: Rimfire madness
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2018, 12:00 AM

Liked 640 Times in 368 Posts

Rimfire madness? I have a Marlin 60 with at least 150,000 rounds through it. I once spent $3500 in one summer on .22 ammo. And it wasn't high priced ammo or at least most of it wasn't. I shot 2 bricks a day just plinking or more. I could shoot a brick in an hour.

I've owned so many .22's I couldn't begin to count them all. I do own a Buckmark. Great pistol. I like 10/22s OK but I'd take a Marlin 60 any day of the week. A modified Ruger can be exceptional but out of the box a Marlin will shoot better almost every time. I know. I've tried brand new 10/22's against brand new 60's more than once.

But for sheer accuracy pleasure a bolt action .22 is unbeatable. Get yourself a CZ 452 or a 453 if you want to know .22 Nirvana at reasonable prices. I have a Savage MkIIBTV that actually shoots better than my CZ but it took me about 2 years to tweaking it to get it to shoot consistently. The CZ shot consistently right out of the box.

The best .22 I've ever seen was a Sako. Better than Anschutz models I've seen and light years better than a Ruger 10/22.

I do understand the love of a good .22. I grew up shooting them. I've been shooting them for over 50 years. And it doesn't cost a fortune to get a great shooter either. I have a Stevens 15-B which is a single shot rifle made in the early 50's. I've seen them sell for $50. It will shoot as good as any .22 I've ever owned.

I've loved .22's since dad brought home a Marlin 60 in about 1962. I wasn't able to shoot it for quite a while because I was too young but I dreamed of the day I could finally get my hands on it. I've had one pretty much ever since. Heck I've had a bunch of them actually but one I kept as my main shooter for 20 years. That's how it got so many rounds through it. I've shot birds flying with it and bats flying with it (always as a last resort for problem animals - I never shoot anything alive for no reason). I have rimfire madness. You may have just caught it. I've had it 50 years plus.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: