View Single Post

Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,113 Times in 4,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Les-

That model was among the first advertised by Schrade as having Razor Blade Stainless steel blades.
It was carried by both Ken Warner and B.R. Hughes, famous knife writers. They could have probably carried any pocket knife they wanted, many being free or at deep discount to them.

I think that's also the model in Schrade's ads at, Playboy. I think they were the only knife manufacturer to advertise in that big, slick magazine. Playboy's circulation was then much greater, and I think an ad cost a lot. They wanted a model that would appeal to the educated urban buyer, not to Farmer Joe. That was the knife they chose.

I'd know the model number if I saw it. Check the blade tangs. The model may be marked on them.
The long Turkish Clip blade isn't typical of stockman patterns, but gets into tight places well. My father-in-law used his to fillet small panfish, like crappie and sand bass.

The Staglon handles were a form of DuPont Delrin, and look more like real stag than any other fakes I've seen. I have a King Ranch stockman and a small stockman with those handles.
The model number is 887UH. I also have and used to carry the much larger, square-ended 885UH, but it tears up pockets quickly whereas the more rounded 887 doesn’t.

Those may be “recent” model numbers and there may have been earlier, different numbers for both of those knives. I don’t know about that. In any case, I liked both patterns and still have them somewhere, but the Victorinox Executive has taken over in my world since about 1972, if I recall correctly.

The little lock-blade I use now is made by Kershaw but I can’t recall its name. I see 1555TI on the blade and Hinderer Design. It’s a nice little knife for when one needs a sturdier blade. I also have and use one of the newer versions of the Victorinox Ranger, which has a locking blade, and I like a lot, but’s far too big for the pocket unless you are going to be doing something that makes you think you’ll need it.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: