Thread: Eye Protection
View Single Post

Old 06-23-2018, 02:44 PM
US Veteran

Liked 7,017 Times in 2,124 Posts

I use Smith Optics Aegis Echo II, about $90 from Amazon, Optics Planet or elsewhere. Prices and availability vary widely, so shop around.
They come with clear and maybe gray lenses in a nice protective case, and you can also buy rose and yellow lenses separately for different light conditions, which interchange easily just by flipping two levers on the frame. The temples are thin and flat at the ears, so they slip under earmuffs without noise leaks.
The main basis for my choice was the level of protection they offer.

There are two main impact resistance standards, ANSI Z87.1 and MIL-PRF-31013.
Lots of shooting glasses boast they meet Z87.1 standards.

The Z87 impact standard involves a 1/4" round steel ball traveling at 150fps.

The MIL-PRF standard calls for the eye wear to withstand a 15 caliber, 5.8 grain T37 shaped projectile traveling at 650 feet per second. This is more realistic for the velocities from a ricochet or other flying debris when shooting.

To me, the MIL-PRF-31013 is more applicable to shooting.

Not all eye wear meets the MIL-PRF standard, and price is not an indicator. Smith Optics products meet the MIL at around $90, while Oakley does not at around $160.
I love my Smiths and feel my irreplaceable eyes are as safe as I can make them while shooting with them.
disclaimer - I have no connection or financial interest in Smith Optics
Luckygunner has an excellent article here on the topic: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye...lasses-review/

Last edited by ameridaddy; 06-23-2018 at 02:51 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: