View Single Post

Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 PM

Liked 177 Times in 91 Posts

Let me try to clarify a few things wrt LEOSA for the OP!

I just went thru my annual LEOSA qualification and am a Mass State Police Certified LEOSA Instructor for Mass, plus I'm an expert on Mass gun laws, so when I was told some questionable info, I did some research.

- Due to the NY Safe Act and subsequent lawsuit (plus LEOSA not addressing mag capacity), retirees are restricted to 10 rd mags maximum in NY State. As I was also told by a friend (ret'd Capt NYPD), no NY cop is going to jack another cop up unless said cop acts like a total a-hole (or gets involved in a shooting).

- NYC laws prohibit carrying a lock-blade knife and LEOSA isn't an exemption.

- As pointed out above, NJ lost the battle and retirees can carry hollow-point ammo under LEOSA. That said, NJ is the one state that even under LEOSA, one should be super-cautious as they regularly ignore federal laws.

- Mass has a provision in MGLs that exempts all LEOs, visitors as well retirees from carry restrictions. For retirees possession of new large capacity magazines "may" be exempt as well, the legal wording is a bit shaky and the (now) former attorney for the Firearms Record Board admitted to me that the wording is a bit gray. That said, you won't find any record of anyone under LEOSA getting jacked up in Mass again unless said officer was acting like a real a-hole.

- Maine is a state that I researched in particular as my Wife and I spent 5 days in Acadia NP last year. Maine Law requires a Maine license in order to carry in Acadia and my research to date seems to indicate that LEOSA will NOT cover us. I've been maintaining my Maine license for this reason. Highways go thru Acadia, you can't avoid the park if you go to Bar Harbor (very nice area) either. A word of caution: Fed law that makes it legal for anyone to carry in NPs requires that the state specifically allows for it (Maine has that license restriction) and LEOSA doesn't supersede Federal laws . . . plus we can't carry in any Federal building within the park if it is a staffed building. There is supposed to be SIGNAGE wrt buildings at every building . . . we never saw a single sign anywhere (but that won't get us forgiveness) so I left it locked in the car at each building. I also never saw a single NP LE Ranger to talk to about it during our stay there. So caution is warranted.