View Single Post

Old 06-24-2018, 12:18 PM

Liked 2,955 Times in 1,021 Posts

I have had a series of crises and so haven't been reloading or shooting for far too long, but last week I finally had time to load a bit. I recently got a Rossi 44 mag lever action, so loaded up a couple of hundred rounds with my current standard 44 practice load - 7.0 gr Trail Boss under a 180gr coated LRN. I have been experimenting with 10gr Universal loads in my 44, so I loaded some of them as well. They are fairly low power compared to max 44 magnum loads, but will still launch a 180gr bullet at ~1300fps, which IMO is plenty for use in my CCW M629 Deluxe.

I also am experimenting with a .32 Long load for my newly acquired M30 snubnose. I've loaded up six rounds each of 100gr coated LSWC over 2.7, 3.0, and 3.3gr of both Universal and Herco. First of all, those are hot by modern standards, starting at book max. But from all my research, 32 Long recipes are incredibly anemic because they don't want to blow up ancient break apart H&Rs. I've seen folks post much hotter recipes so I'm not too worried about it, and my older reloading manuals show up to 4.3gr of Unique (which is a lot!), but I do plan to shoot them in my LCR327 first to check for signs of overpressure, then if they look okay I'll load up some more to shoot thru my M30. I'm not trying to turn the gun into a magnum, but I'd like to find a fairly hot load for use as a CCW. The M30 is a bit smaller than the LCR, which makes it a bit better as a pocket pistol.

I also loaded up about 200 more .32 Long rounds of 2gr of Trail Boss under that 100gr LSWC. Those are strictly for fun.

Lastly, I finally got a chrono so I get to be a bit more scientific with my loads, which I'm excited about.