View Single Post

Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Callahan View Post
@Mister X, My guns work for me because I work with them. How do you know that your guns work for you? Forgive me for being presumptuous, but somehow I doubt that you frequently find yourself in deadly force encounters, so by what criteria do you gauge the aptitude of your own firearms?

No offense, but you're sounding more and more like a Mall Ninja with each passing comment. You don't have to be an expert in firearms nor CQC to defend yourself in everyday civilian life, most criminals are just petty thugs who aren't looking for a fight of any kind, much less an all-out gunfight, but rather an easy target who they can easily rob. Heck, even most of the ones who are looking for a fight aren't exactly known for being combat experts.
Oh well, I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you any further on the subject.

Bottom line, I am confident in my abilities to adequately defend myself with what I've got, and I don't need to convince you or anyone else for that matter that I am capable of doing so. In fact, in my experience it is those who are most insecure who feel the need to convince others (especially strangers on the internet) of their capabilities.
I wasn't aware we were arguing or that there was any need to convince me of anything. I was simply debating the issue. This is a forum after all. You are the one who just got snarky and made it personal because you didn't want to answer simple legitimate inquiries. I'm open-minded and like getting different perspectives. My ideas are not set in stone and I like them challenged(with respect and civility) to see if they hold up against scrutiny and alternate opinions.

Mall ninja? Looking up the definition...[an uneperienced individual obsessed with tactical, paramilitary style firearms who pretends to be seasoned operator/Spec Ops]. I must be the worst mall ninja ever since I'm most often advocating for the S&W snub revolver as a carry weapon and frequently state that I think military gear and operations have little in common with civilian self-defense.

I know the snub works because I've pressure-tested it. Not only in live range fire, but in force-on-force scenarios. Primarily of the ECQ variety, because that is what I expect to involved in and unable to avoid. I also taught DT, disarms and weapon retention to Cops for three decades in addition to teaching civilian martial arts and reality-based self-defense during the same period.

You seem to have a very narrow view of crime as if it's only about petty robbery. That's really far from the truth. I agree you don't have to be an expert of any kind to successfully defend yourself and your wits and situational awareness will go a long way in avoiding conflict, but being better prepared by having the right tools, some functional skill-sets and effective training is still better than not having them and I thought that's is what we are discussing. This is especially true with older individuals who are more limited in their ability to respond, but also have more leeway with introducing lethal force. But, they have to be able to get to that point with their limitations and hopefully without taking too severe of a beating. That doesn't mean they have to undertake extensive training, which would be counter-productive, but they can learn some basics and understand the overall dynamics from those who have. I mention the elderly, because there are quite a few on this forum(and I'm not getting any younger myself) and if I had to guess, I think you just might fit that demographic, but if not, no offense intended either way.

I wouldn't underestimate most criminals abilities. Have you never been to a prison? Beyond just the physicality of most of the inmates(they spend much of their free time pumping iron after all), many are preoccupied, extremely skilled and experienced in inflicting violence in the most efficient means possible and unless you live a very limited life, it's not at all unrealistic to think you'll eventually cross paths with them.
The Following User Likes This Post: