Thread: A2 stock
View Single Post

Old 06-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Liked 689 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345sire View Post
Kadonny, regretfully none of the people I shoot with has an AR yet. The fellow I would be shooting with has a place in Pennsy and we can do the swap at his place on the way to the range, he has enough tools and a wood shop vise that we could use if it were needed. Throwing my armorer's wrench and a can of "liquid wrench" in the car is nothing,,,,,,,,,

I haven't taken apart a lower on an AR yet, but have worked on several other firearms, and have been wrenching on cars and motorcycles for 40 plus years. I'm confident in my (admittedly limited as it applies to firearms) skill set regarding the tweaking of the buffer tube/detent/spring etc. not to lose or break much of anything.

Perhaps I'm misjudging the situation, but I actually thought it wouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes to swap these out. Maybe it's more of a hassle than I anticipate? It did take a bit more effort to remove the barrel from the upper the first time than I expected, but that is supposed to be a relatively infrequent task, and meant to be on the harder (physically)to do end of the spectrum, I have presumed.
Your responses thus far make me realize you are probably well experienced in this arena, so I AM taking you seriously. And appreciating every word.
Well, it's way better to have a shop and tools available for the swap, way more secure.

So I'm trying to remember the time it takes with all the steps involved. I've built a whole bunch of lowers so I've done it many times. It's not super hard, it's a little tedious and the steps have to be done in sequence or it won't work. 5 or 10 minutes for a complete swap? No way. Half hour? Maybe. You have to take your time or you can mess things up or even strip threads.

If you feel comfortable to do it, go ahead and try. I'd be very interested in seeing how long it takes somene who has never done it before and what your thoughts on it are. There are 2 springs and detents that will fly out if not careful, one in the endplate when removed and one in the buffer tube (RE) that holds the buffer in (buffer retainer). Other than that, do a Youtube look up before doing it so you know the steps and give it a whirl.

Still, maybe I can see you doing this swap once, it won't be something you will want to do on a regular basis. Trust me.

So where in PA are you shooting? I'm a eastern PA guy.

Last edited by Kadonny; 06-26-2018 at 05:17 PM.