View Single Post

Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 AM

Liked 1,872 Times in 582 Posts

I have studied a half dozen or so martial arts over my life time and was the oldest person ( 70 ) to earn a black belt in the most recent style that I studied. I agree that it is more complicated for older people to defend against younger and stronger attackers. Part of my black belt test was to spar against a 265# Marine iron worker so I know it can be done.

There are some advantages to looking old and decrepit. The attackers don't expect that you will be able to defend yourself. Also it confuses them if you smile at them just before cutting loose.

A couple of techniques that are quite effective for older and for that matter very young defenders include a variety of low kicks from the knee on down coupled with stomps to the opponents instep. Knees break very easily when kicked from the side. Another surprisingly effective move is to forcefully shove fingers up the nose and twist. No matter how big and strong they are they will spin like a top as you hot foot it away.

And lets not overlook some simple and effective " cane fu " techniques .

Find a school the specializes in these techniques for older people. You are not training for MMA competition.

You've got nothing to lose. Why not go down fighting.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Last edited by 7shooter; 06-27-2018 at 06:02 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: