View Single Post

Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
Interesting input, but I was making a different point, specifically to Mr. X.
Noted.

Even so, I'd like to comment on this a little more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
Not sure many people in my age demographic (mid-60’s) and older, even healthy ones, can sustain the level of physical contact in the Southnarc ECQC class just for training.
Self-defense is not just about having a gun. In my opinion, claiming that you can only defend yourself with a gun because you don't have the physical strength is not being realistic. Like I said, size, strength, stamina all matter. No one expects a new student, regardless of age, to walk in and be able to roll on day one. You have to build up to it.

Meet Chuck Sullivan:

He's 86 years old and still one of the most dangerous people on the planet. He's never been in a street fight, but his extensive training in Chinese Kenpo has kept him aware and able to avoid any issues to date. If he can be this active at 86, any of us can get more physically fit.

Like I said before, if you can walk under your own power, we can get you to a point where you can effectively defend yourself. Yes, it will take work and most aren't willing to put in the time and effort.

Your thinking is not wrong. The two most effective strikes in self-defense are a punch/ridge hand/knuckle strike to the throat or a strike to the groin. Don't underestimate the value of these two strikes. Fighting fair or following any "gentleman's" rules is for victims. This is potentially a life and death situation. Use what you have.

Self-defense is not about going toe to toe in a cage for 20 minutes. It's about delivering the most damage you can, as quickly as you can and disengaging in 10 seconds or less.