View Single Post

Old 06-29-2018, 01:02 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothshooter View Post
Have you ever shot any game while hunting with birdshot at across the room distances or closer that got away if reasonably well-centered with the pattern?
FBI protocol has little to no bearing on the OP's requirements. They have to be prepared for the occaisional outdoor, or warehouse encounter where the distances involved may be longer. They may need to shoot through car windows.
None of this is part of the OP's situation.
So, pretty much any size of bird shot will do.
I would probably go with #4 to #6 field loads rather than slugs or buchshot. Somewhat lower recoil and muzzle blast are good things. Makes practice more enjoyable as well.
No, bird shot will not do... watch the video I posted above. A female university student was hit center of mass from across the room distance... She didn't stop... she ran away on her own power.

FBI ballistics testing has everything to do with it. The protocol states that the projectile needs to have 12" of penetration in ballistic gel to reliably hit vital organs. Has nothing to do with shooting through car windows, barriers, or long distance. Bird shot does not reliably provide the penetration to hit vitals. If I pull the trigger, I want the threat stopped. I don't want them to still be in the fight.
And yes, I have hit game with a well placed shot from 10 yards away and it did not immediately stop. If I shoot from my den across to the kitchen area, I'm looking at a shot that is 36 - 40 feet... I've shot dove at that same distance and they were still moving around on the ground when I went to pick them up.