View Single Post

Old 06-29-2018, 09:41 AM

Liked 8,495 Times in 2,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
First off, I'm not trying to offend anyone or ruffle any feathers. Everyone is free to carry whatever they wish or feel comfortable with. I worked with several cops over the years that only carried a J frame or .380 and no re-load for it.

I own 3 J frames and several other wheel guns. In fact, my house carry is a 5 shot S&W 340 in .38 spl (see below). It's light enough to wear tucked into the waistband of draw sting elastic waist shorts. I also have quick access to larger/higher capacity guns near by.

But with that said, when I go out into the world, I almost feel naked if I don't have at least 8 rounds in the gun (preferably 10 or more) & a re-load.

For those that just carry a 5 shot, why do you feel that's enough gun in today's crazy world? In most of the real life videos I've seen, 5 rounds just doesn't seem enough. Nor is there time for a reload. Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes, just trying to understand.

First off, nice gun.

Second, it's all based on your experience, your level of training, your personal preference and of course the criminal.

Why do I say this? Well, you never know what criminals are going to do. A lot of their behavior is predictable and we can anticipate it but some is not.

You can live in the best neighborhood and still fall victim to a break in. We had home invasions here with not just one or two offenders but 5.

So you make the call what's comfortable for you. You know.... life is pretty much unpredictable, so is most of the criminal behavior. They travel, they check out neighborhoods, they send their baby momma, taking pictures/videos while driving by, etc.

Anybody can become a victim at anytime. Having a firearm is like a life insurance. Buy it and hopefully you'll never need it. Unlike an insurance written on paper, at least we can play with a gun every now and then at the range.

It's all about the one time something bad happens. That's the time you want to make sure a) you got it and b) it better works.

Now, I'm not saying buy a 33rd magazine for your Glock and carry 10 extra mags every day. It's really up to you assessing the need/want in regards to your situation. I choose to carry my M&P on- and off duty. I don't switch guns for home defense/carry/bbq/whatever. I have 2 different loads that I use and when we leave I'll just grab more mags, have 1 reload on me and put the rest in the car. I do not feel under gunned with my 9mm. Now, if we really go out in the bushes I'll either take a 5.56 or my .30-30 with me. Or both.

So I'd suggest to assess your total situation and then make a decision. There's nothing wrong with a 5-shot and speed loaders and/or -strips, but there's also nothing wrong with a semi auto with a higher capacity.

I'm sorry if it sounds like a lecture, it was certainly not meant to be one. My intend was to just share my personal opinion