View Single Post

Old 06-29-2018, 06:44 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2525 View Post
If I’m on the ground, on my back, in a deadly force attack, I don’t want to do a reversal. I want to draw and fire my pistol from from that bottom position. Not many self defense dojo’s practicing that. At least around here.
Good scenario and definitely not straight out of left field; this could really happen.

Let's start from the top. I believe I said before that if you find yourself on the ground, something has already gone wrong in your defense technique. The ground is hard and we want to avoid it at all costs. If you came to my school with this scenario, we would spend 80% of the time talking about avoiding the ground. Not what you want to hear, but that really is the important part.

OK, but the 20% still happens, what then? Pulling the gun is a viable option, but not the best option. It worked for Zimmerman, but could easily have gone the other way. Because you're in a grappling situation, it will be very difficult to get to your gun. If it's small of back, it's out of the question. If it's on your hip, it's likely pinned by the assailants knees. The options available are dependent on your position. There are three basic positions that fall into the category I believe you're asking about:

The guard-

In this position you are on your back and the assailant is between your legs. This particular picture is showing a closed guard. The defender has his feet crossed. Most people without training will have an open guard meaning their feet are not crossed.

Half guard-

In this position you have one of the assailant's legs between your legs.

The mount-

Here the assailant is literally sitting on top of you. He is sitting on your hips or stomach.

If you have him in the guard or half guard, you may have access to your gun. If you're mounted, it's very unlikely that you can even get to your gun. If you can get to your gun, is that the best idea? Maybe, but it presents some serious problems. Because you're locked in battle here, it's difficult to control the gun. You could shoot the bad guy, you could shoot yourself and the worst would be for him to get the gun.

What we teach in my school is not a reversal, but escape. I want this guy off and me back on my feet as soon as possible. Do everything you can to create space. Then get the gun out.

There is a problem with carrying any kind of tool (weapon), we focus too much on that tool. When people carry a gun, most of the time, that's their first option when it should be the last. Whenever there is a tool involved, the user's concentration is on the tool so much, they forget that they have hands and feet they can also use. If we spent even a little time working on using the tools God gave us, it would open a world of options.

I didn't miss what you asked. You want instruction on how to get your gun out when on the ground. The reason this isn't taught in any martial arts school is because they're teaching you to use the most readily available tools, the ones you're born with, first.

This is why I talk about empty hand defense so much and why I never use the word "weapon" when describing my gun; I am the weapon. The gun/baton/knife/flashlight is just a tool, an extension of me. It's a mindset. By thinking of yourself as the weapon, you come to the realization that you're never without some kind of defense.

None of what I've said here directly answers your question. I'm sorry, but this scenario is too difficult for me to answer by typing. I don't know where you live, but you're welcome to come to our school and we can work on exactly this. Alas, I'll bet you live in another state. Even so, if you want to make the trip, I'll make it worthwhile.