View Single Post

Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 PM

Liked 19,894 Times in 8,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
You have watched too many WAY too many old "B" westerns. If the individual will apparently be a danger to anyone if he gains possession of the pistol he dropped, and his insistence on continuing to gain possession of it in spite of lawful orders of an armed officer acting "under color of authority", the officers present had no choice but to use lethal force, even if the individual was facing away from him at the time!If a person appears to be am imminent threat to anyone, any officer has the right to engage the threat, regardless of orientation.

If you have not spent time "On the street" you have absolutely no right to pass judgement on any sworn officer taking necessary action in such a situation, especially if you only have the news media's account of the situation! BTDT, I can guarantee the officer felt there was no choice.
As I stated I only saw 31 seconds of a video....It's not clear to me they had no choice.....what was the imminent threat????

Did the officer have a choice..... I didn't see enough video to make a reasonable decision....

Was he shot in the back... how far away was the officer.....could he have just body slammed the guy into the ground..... at one point it appeared he was <3-4 ft from the guy...faster than drawing and firing 6-8 rounds.

Was lethal force his only option.......???????? Was it justified???????

In the end a jury of 12 who have never "been on the street" will comprise the Grand Jury and if an indictment is handed down another 12 will decide if the action was reasonable..... not 12 guys "on the street".......

I'm not making any judgement on 31 seconds of video,,,, I'm asking questions......

Every officer has the right; and the obligation to his or her family, to go home at the end of the shift........ doesn't mean he couldn't be wrong..... micro second decisions aren't always right or wrong.

With 20/20 hindsight and knowledge we know the guy was no threat.....for trying to do the right thing he lost his life....... for trying to do the right thing the officer took one.......... no I've never taken a life on the street but I've seen lots of mistakes in simulation training....... life's a B----
The Following 2 Users Like Post: