View Single Post

Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Liked 1,636 Times in 681 Posts

Too many veryables.

You will stand a better chance of the velocities being linear with fast burning powders like AA#2/bullseye/clays/titegroup/reddot/HP-38/ETC.

Myself, I wouldn't worry about velocities and concentrate more on getting a good seal of the cases. 44spl data flat out sucks, the mfg's don't know if the end user is going to be using a modern firearm or Auntie- M's 1913 top break revolver. You want to start with the starting load and look at your cases. You don't want to see them have smug marks on 1 side of them from too little pressure/powder. Once you get a good seal with your powder/bullet combo, then work the load up. Some 44spl testing done this way, 1st get a seal & then work the load up. 25yd 6-shot groups with 175gr & 162gr wc's/44spl

The 44spl is an extremely accurate cartridge if you take the time to read your brass. While accuracy has nothing to do with velocity/linear climb. It is something the reloader can also test for while increasing the loads. You'll watch you groups tighten up/walk in as you increase your load and open up/walk out as you keep increasing the load.

If you'r using standard bbl lengths and loads that are not too light for the 44spl. You shouldn't have extreme spreads to begin with. An extreme spread for the 44spl is +/- 150fps with "standard" pressure loads. The 38spl in comparison can be +/- 300fps with "standard" pressure loads.

You will find with the 44spl that once you find a bullet/load combo that seals the chamber/cylinders. You'll be lucky to have more than 75fps difference in your load development as you climb from a load that seals to a max load.

The 44spl has been 1 of my favorite cartridges, I've owned firearms chambered in 44spl since the 80's. I've shot countless 1000's of 44spl's using multiple powders/bullets. 44spl's and wc's/hbwc's are made for each other.

Glad to see you're enjoying the 44spl.