View Single Post

Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul105 View Post
HamHands

If you don’t want to watch the entire disassembly procedure, skip to about 5:40 – 6:00 on the video. There are four lock components, “the flag”, flag cam, cam retainer (little fork) and cam retainer spring. With this version of the plug you are still using two of the original lock parts (retainer & spring) to secure the plug.

S&W lock delete - YouTube

I believe there was another version that substituted a clip for the lock retainer/spring to secure the plug

Just seems to me you are substituting one potential problem for another.

For me, these are all unnecessary parts that could be subject to “Murphy’s” influence. Probability is low for sure, but if it’s mechanical, it’s subject failure. Again, it’s an individual choice.

FWIW,

Paul
I know the exact parts you speak of Paul. I understand the removal and install process of the lock delete in detail. I believe that is J.D.'s (the owner of Original Precision's), video and I used it extensively the first lock delete/plug I installed. I've since done about a half dozen more for myself and family, (all of us "Woodsmen/Woodswomen.) The fork and the spring that are left over after the plug delete is properly installed aren't going to cause any problems under recoil or any other situation though. Its that damned flag and the rotation of the "lock" that causes unwanted lock-up, (both of which are removed during the plug delete install.)

I do fully agree with you on the spring and fork (as left-over-parts), being just as unnecessary as the original lock design itself is though. But to reiterate; with the plug/delete installed properly, (there is only one way it will work/install)... there is nothing for the fork and spring to do but "stay seated" in their proper channel in the frame and into the plug channel itself.

I used to run from the locks until I discovered Original Precision. Now the only time I won't purchase a new(er) Smith is because I want something nostalgic or an option that Smith doesn't offer on a newer model with the lock. To each his own and I fully support someone who won't buy or carry a Smith with a lock. I had a 625 lock up from recoil shooting 255grain Hard Cast Buffalo Bore's which were my go to "Woods-Carry" rounds before moving on to .44Magnum as our primary woods defense; of one is a 629 with the lock deleted and now a Lew Horton M29 before the lock was "dreamed-up".
Pic below of the M625 that locked up under recoil after just 23 rounds of the aforementioned BB Hard Casts... pic after the plug delete of course.

Pics of both mine and the wifey's 629 & M29 we now "Woods Carry" but with Underwood Hard Cast 255gr, .44Special for the wife, 255gr .44Mag Hard Cast for me.