View Single Post

Old 07-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Kids fresh out of hunter safety tend to be safer gun handlers than old geezers because the kids focus on how they're handling the gun. While he can learn safe gun handling you or from books, helping him get his hunter safety certificate now will ease his parents' fears.

Suggest to his dad that he come shooting with you. A little exposure to normal gun use might be an eye opener for his dad. There's a good chance he'll have fun and that would open him up to my next suggestion.

Depending on their local laws, roll the date of the gift back from 21 to 18 and make the pistol a target or sporting size gun. Maybe make it a high school graduation present. Since he is interested enough to read about shooting sports the classes suggested above are frivolous. Most of today's instructors focus on close range self defense techniques that are too specialized to be a starting point for teenagers. Damn few of today's expensive instructors can shoot as accurately as I could as a teenager and I self taught using books. I'd get your grandson working on best accuracy at 25 yards and further. When he's old enough for training specific to carrying concealed becomes relevant quickening his trigger pull will be easy.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: