Thread: Woods Revolver
View Single Post

Old 07-02-2018, 09:13 PM

Liked 7,366 Times in 2,508 Posts

S&W Governor (or a Taurus Judge if cost is a concern) ought to be the ideal choice of a Wilderness Defense firearm.

Capable of chambering .410 Shotshells, .45 Long Colt, or .45 ACP, (with moon clips) the Governor boasts an unprecedented level of versatility. You've got .410 Bore Shotshells for small animals such as Snakes and .45 Long Colt for just about anything else one could conceivably encounter in the Wilderness.
Furthermore, you have the option to mix ammunition and load up any of the different types of shot/bullets offered in .410/.45 in the same cylinder at once. (.410 birdshot for Snakes, buckshot for larger animals like wolves, and a nice hardcast 255gr .45LC semiwadcutter for Bears.)
Oh, and the Governor weighs in at mere 30oz, so you don't have to worry about lugging around an excessively heavy pistol either.

I know that there will be a lot of folks coming to argue against my suggestion because .410/.45 Revolvers such as the S&W Governor and Taurus Judge are the Uncle Buck's hat of the firearms community, so be prepared for a lot of protests from folks who just plain hate these sorts of firearms, complete with outdated articles/videos "proving" their ineffectiveness by using .410 shotshells which were designed for full-size shotguns with 18" long barrels with full chokes at absurdly long ranges well in excess of what they were designed for or one would ever likely find themselves needing to shoot, much less be legally justified in doing so, acting as if that means something. But specialty loads have long since been developed specifically for handguns like the Governor which have proven to be quite effective at distances out to 20 yards, such as Federal Premium .410 Handgun 000 Buck Shotshells, so to preemptively give you a more realistic demonstration of what to expect from the Governor, I'll leave you with this video.

Just something to consider.

Last edited by Echo40; 07-02-2018 at 09:18 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: