View Single Post

Old 07-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbolt View Post
Didn't see it as an "attack" on folks who have found reason to carry light.

Regardless of whether someone is carrying 5 rounds and a 5rd speedloader/strip, or 17rds and 50rds in spare mags, it's likely still going to come down to accurately putting rounds where they need to go, fast enough. Time-wise, having it happen with the initial 1-3 rounds is probably better in hedging things in your favor than having it happen after you've dumped a couple of mags without the desired effect.

I've listened to guys who emptied a couple hi-cap mags at an attacker, either without hitting their attacker, or not hitting their attacker in a sufficiently critical anatomical spot to prevent the attacker from being able to continue their volitional deadly force actions. (Lifted a bit of that description from the '89 FBI paper on Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness, as it left an impression on me when I received a copy of it when it was new. ) In some cases they had the time to realize they needed to make a critical hit (or 3, in one case meaning 3 head shots) to try and survive.

Then, I've listened to guys who ended their encounter with 1-2 hits (and all of their extra mags and remaining ammo ended up in evidence ).

For myself, I still occasionally take one or another of my DA or DAO 5-shot J's out to 40-50yds, to make sure I can still keep them on the scoring zones of whatever silhouettes we may be presently using, or perhaps on one of the steel silhouettes at that range. I also make sure I run them just as hard as my subcompact to full-size pistols within the usual 3-15yd qual Cof's, and while they may require more loading between strings of fire, they don't get any slack when it comes to scoring the hits.

Now, I see it more from the perspective of deciding whether I'm willing to have 5 immediate rounds ready for use before having to load again ... or 8 rounds .... or 9 rounds ... or 10 rounds ... or maybe even 12 rounds (my highest mag capacity pistol).

ot because I'm practicing any "easier" for carrying a smaller gun with fewer rounds. If anything, I'm going to practice harder with the lower capacity gun, to try and improve my potential to be able get those critical first 1-3 hits with it/them.
But I lnow you ate the exception, you actually practice, most do not, not leo or ccw.