View Single Post

Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,511 Times in 8,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjpetracca View Post
Mine is s/n 785xx shipped January 10, 1951. It also is satin and the barrel shroud is cut for the large ejector knob. I sent it back to S&W about 35 years ago because it didn’t quite index properly and when it came back the later style ejector rod was installed. I had requested that my original parts be returned, but they weren’t. It is my first 44 Special and is a joy to shoot.
Your large extractor rod knob was right hand thread. When the factory fixes guns sent back to them, they always just replace parts, never any true gunsmithing involved.

So by the time you sent your 44 back to them, which had to be after 1959, to fix it they just installed a new cyl and extractor star but by 1959 the thread had changed to left hand and the large knob surplus pre war knob rod inventory was all used up long before the thread change. So they had to replace the extractor rod with the newer 'no knob' style as well.

If your gun was one without a barrel shroud, it would have a notch for the knob on the underside of the barrel. And in those cases the factory changed the barrel as well! I presume the factory re-numbered the cyl and extractor star to match your gun's serial #?

However, I frames switched to the left hand thread in 1946 when re-introduced after the war and when they still shipped with large knobs. By extending those, it's possible to replace large knob rods on guns that have had newer cyl replacements.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 07-03-2018 at 06:34 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: