View Single Post

Old 07-03-2018, 11:59 AM
US Veteran

Liked 769 Times in 137 Posts

I love revolvers, especially the old ones, but each day when I put on a gun belt for work or tuck my off-duty gun in my waistband, it is a high capacity polymer semi auto. There is something comforting in this day and age knowing that I have a large ammo supply at hand if needed, 50 rds on-duty, 30 rds off. I do not fall into the "spray and pray" crowd as many would argue hi-cap guns rely on. While most quality full sized revolvers are probably more "accurate" then most service grade semi's when shooting bullseyes, most of the semi's have more then adequate "accuracy" for social purposes. Modern semi's are also usually considerably lighter than service sized revolvers, which is also an important factor especially when we get a few years under the belt. I have been a firearms instructor and a competitive shooter for 30+ years and I have seen both pistols and revolvers fail on the firing line. "Reliability", as many have stated has many components to it, but I believe that there is virtually no difference in reliability between a quality revolver and a modern quality semi auto provided that each are maintained properly and both use quality ammunition. If I was mandated to carry a revolver I would feel confident in my ability to use it well and take care of business but, given a choice, I would always choice a semi auto for my primary carry handgun. Just my .02
The Following User Likes This Post: