View Single Post

Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 PM

Liked 490 Times in 276 Posts

I haven't read through the comments, so excuse me if I'm stating previously stated opinions. I think that revolvers may not be more reliable than semi-autos when you add the reloading the gun into the equation. Maybe even less reliable.

First, there's the problem of ejecting spent shells; some cartridges might expand or some cylinder bores may not be smooth enough to allow easy extraction. I've had also some cylinders on some revolvers bind a little bit after stout or heavily loaded rounds so that releasing and opening the cylinder required some effort.

Second, revolver speed loaders and strips are far more awkward to use quickly than semi-auto magazines. True, that may not be an issue of the gun actually failing, but it is a matter of the gun not being able to be reloaded as quickly, whatever the cause.

Having said that, if you limit the reliability comparison to the rounds that are loaded in the gun, and don't consider reloading, the revolver is more reliable. I mention this because the statistics I've read so many times say that the typical self defense gunfight is over after just a few rounds. In that scenario, I'd rather have a revolver. Nobody ever limp wristed a revolver, and revolvers are less picky as to the brand and type of ammo they use, despite the recent improvements in semi-auto reliability. I have a nice newer Ruger SR40c that'll eat almost everything, but won't cycle Winchester white box at all.

Of course, these are all generalizations. There are many semi-autos that are ultra reliable and a few revolvers that have problems.
The Following User Likes This Post: