Thread: 224 Valkyrie
View Single Post

Old 07-03-2018, 02:16 PM

Liked 5,311 Times in 2,672 Posts

Boots Obermeyer of Obermeyer gun barrel fame had/has a blog on their website. Since he both shot/shoots across the course and makes barrels for those who do, his experience would seem to be worth consideration.

He noted that heavier than usual bullets for caliber seem to accelerate throat erosion. His theory was that the heavier bullets take longer to accelerate and hold a higher gas temperature (pressure too, I'd think) in the throat longer. If someone builds one, please advise on barrel life.

Looking at sectional density, an 80 gr .224 bullet has about the same SD as a 150 gr .30 bullet. A 90 gr .224 would be about the same as a 165 gr .30 bullet.

Now the larger issue is the construction of the bullet. I used to use 69 gr SMKs to shoot groundhogs. Then I happened to have one sitting up facing me. I heard the bullet impact and strolled out (162 paces) to examine the remains. Massive chest wound that excavated the chest cavity, no exit wound. The second time this happened (similar range) I realized the bullet was fragmenting on the sternum and didn't have enough weight/velocity to exit a 20+lb critter. [I switched to 60 gr Sierra JHPs, got holes on both sides.] The 75 gr Hornaday HPBT seems to be constructed differently, haven't used it on any groundhogs though. Big question, who's gonna build a 90 gr .224 bullet designed as a hunting bullet?

Last edited by WR Moore; 07-03-2018 at 03:19 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: