View Single Post

Old 07-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,548 Times in 2,081 Posts
Default Odd ball revolver stoppages

While conducting firearms training for my office, prior to transitioning to autoloaders, I witnessed the following stoppage:
a ham-handed agent, while reloading, managed to get a fired casing under the extractor star yet still in the chamber. This was with either an S&W Model 36 or a Colt Detective Special. Don't remember which. Getting that casing out took some manipulation. This was not a fault of the gun but how the user interacted with the gun.

I obtained a box of Norma factory loads in .357 Magnum. Using them in my S&W Model 19, The ammo was so hot that the primer extruded into the hammer nose hole in the frame, effectively locking up the cylinder. To open, it was necessary to bash the cylinder against a wooden structure while holding the cylinder release in order to shear off the extruded primer material.

And yes, I've had my fair share of stoppages with autoloaders.

I was honored to be able to write a portion of the instruction manual that accompanies every Kahr handgun. As I recall, I said that reliability depends on the interaction of the gun, the magazine, the ammunition and the user. These, alone or in combination, can affect a pistol's overall reliability.

Last edited by federali; 07-03-2018 at 08:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: