View Single Post

Old 07-04-2018, 04:38 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Practical View Post
I like revolver's. I enjoy shooting the and just looking at them, however, I no longer believe they are as reliable as a well designed Law Enforcement Semi-Auto.

I KNOW this is an opinion. I would like to back it up with facts but without an employee leaking information or a analysis of a revolver or long term tests we can't prove it.

It's not the lock in Smith & Wesson or the changing of manufacturing processes to MIM with all major manufacturers.

I still think they better serve a gun owning population that need a gun to stored in a home and ready for use but used seldom and given little attention.

However, I think the reliability of carried often and shot often Semi-Auto design used for LEO use is more reliable for a more active an well trained user.

The issue is basically the engineering and manufacturing processes used in today's semi-autos and their widespread use ensure manufacturers compete to win these markets and put their best products forward.

In contrast, Revolvers aside for security use in some cities in the US are consumer grade products. The LOCK demonstrates this. Even on competition models like the Competitor or Performance Center guns.

What pushed me to this post was watching a youtube video of a 7 Shot GP100 which could not close it's cylinder because some brass specs were a little too large. Maybe the rims expanded or were out of spec, but when a revolver can't be closed because of it's design when loaded the manufacturer has reached a new low. Unfortunately this is not new, I had a new Colt double action revolver fail to function with almost all brands of ammo 20+ years ago. It only held 6 rounds. Just before they stopped making revolvers. I can see why they stopped. Why ruin your reputation.

I no longer believe in revolvers...
I'M GLAD THAT YOU REALIZE THAT THIS IS MERELY YOUR OPINION, THAT CAN'T BE SUPPORTED BY FACTS---BECAUSE WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, THAT'S ALL THIS IS ! ! !

BASED ON 60 YEARS OF SHOOTING SEMI-AUTOS AND REVOLVERS, IN BOTH MILITARY AND CIVILIAN LIFE---MY OPINION STANDS IN DIRECT OPPOSITION TO YOURS---AND ONCE AGAIN, JUST MY OPINION ! ! !

THE ONLY FAILURES TO FIRE A REVOLVER, IN THOSE 6 DECADES, HAVE BEEN RELATED TO A FAULTY FACTORY AMMO ROUND, ON A COUPLE OF OCCASIONS.....

THE FEW HAND PICKED, ANTI-REVOLVER VIGNETTES THAT YOU PRESENTED, ARE NOT FREQUENT OCCURRENCES, JUDGING BY WHAT I READ ON THIS FORUM, AND OTHERS THAT I BELONG TO--AND NOTHING THAT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED......

MUCH MORE FREQUENT ARE JAMS, FAILURES TO FEED OR EXTRACT, AMMO OGIVE SENSITIVITY, BROKEN EXTRACTORS, WEAK SPRINGS, OR MAGAZINE PROBLEMS, ETC, THAT ARE COMMON TO THE MORE COMPLEX MECHANISMS OF SEMI-AUTO PISTOLS---ALL OF WHICH, I HAVE EXPERIENCED......

Last edited by one eye joe; 07-04-2018 at 04:52 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: