View Single Post

Old 07-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Liked 4,038 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
I'm a fan of accurate rifles. For quite a few years I went even further and became fanatical about accurate rifles. I have single-shot rifles and bolt action rifles that will easily shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and game animals can be taken at 1/4 mile without too much difficulty.

After hunting the Colorado high country for many years, usually keeping the freezer stocked with deer and elk, it occurred to me just how seldom I have ever taken a game animal at more than 80 or 90 yards. I remember a mule deer buck at about 400 yards once, standing perfectly still while I had a good rest to shoot from, and it took 3 rounds (.30-06, 165BTSP) in the boiler works before he went down. I remember an elk at about 250 yards, grazing peacefully while I had a good rest to shoot from; easy meat. But all the rest were taken at under 100 yards, sometimes under 50 yards, usually offhand or prone shooting with trees and brush in the way to make it a challenge, sometimes moving uphill or downhill; not easy shots for a careful hunter who wants to put the critter down properly.

So, the old Winchester .30-30 with receiver sight, or the Savage 99 with Weaver 3X, even an as-issued 03-A3 Springfield, any of those would have served me just as well while being easier to carry all day in the mountains, even though none of them are particularly accurate when compared to a 10-12 lb. tack-driving rifle/scope combo that shreds the X-ring on the range.

I think that gorgeous Mannlicher 1903 would make a great hunting rifle, even if it prints 3" or 4" groups at 100 yards. Lightweight, compact, plenty of power for typical game and hunting conditions. It should be a joy to carry and shoot!

Great comments from someone who has real life experience in the field with various rifles. Though my rifle will not be used to hunt game with ( not legal in Ohio except for wild boar and coyotes) I appreciate the experience of someone who uses them the field.