View Single Post

Old 07-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Liked 83 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal44 View Post
I'm a guy, but frankly I think a lot of what is written about gun selection for, and by, women is sexist and wrong.

First the idea that women can't rack a slide. I believe all three of my grand daughters, my wife (over 70), our daughter-in-law, and even our DIL's mom who is over 80 could rack a slide.

The only one who can't is my sister in law. But it's not because she is weak, it's because she has a deformed hand with no fingers.

I believe any healthy woman can learn to rack a slide, and if not, then she should start doing some hand strength exercises and soon she will be able to.

On the recoil subject. Most men have trouble with the triggers on J frames and need a lot of practice to become proficient.

And many men carry J frames because they aren't willing to put up with dressing around (and lugging around) a big gun.

I'm in this category.

On the other side, women who are interested in becoming proficient with guns can learn to shoot a J frame just as well as men can.
I am not saying that women are not able to rack a slide and shoot well with an automatic. I am sure 99% of women can rack a slide and have the ability to deal with all the moving parts if they decide that they want to. I am saying that the majority of them in my experience (my girlfriend included) are not interested in training enough to be proficient with racking a slide and dealing with a separate magazine and a safety (and yes, if you carry an automatic you should be training in this, however basic it may seem.) A revolver is just simpler for the operator. There are of course exceptions. There are many women who love guns! but that's not what this post is about. I am talking about women who do not have an interest in shooting. I am not trying to be sexist. In my personal experience, more men like guns than do women. More men are interested in practicing with guns than are women. More men are willing to carry a gun than are women. Your personal experience may be different.
The trigger issue is an issue, but not at point-blank range, and not at 5-10 feet with a little bit of practice. We are not talking about bullseye shooting here, just center of mass.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: