View Single Post

Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM

Liked 83 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. mordo View Post
I HIGHLY recommend anyone shopping for their wife check out a .327. It's the perfect round for someone who hasn't shot much, because it uses any .32 variant of ammo (even the semi-rimmed.32 ACP supposedly). I'd start her off with .32 Long (Fiocci is fairly cheap and available if you order online), they try .32 H&R, then full tilt .327 Mag if she does well with that. If all else fails you could even fall back to .32 Short for training. The .327 round is a monster. Anyone at the business end of a 327 is going to rethink their life choices if just from the blast and noise. That said, it's far more manageable to the shooter than .357 and feels more like shooting .38 SPL in an airweight.

For carry, I'd get a LCR327 rather than a SP101 - I have the LCR and love it. I love SP101s also, but I think the LCR327 is the perfect weight for folks who want an easy and unobtrusive gun to carry.

I own several S&W revolvers, but IMO the LCR327 is the perfect gun for this situation. It's light so she can easily transition the gun from her purse to her waistband if she is in a bad situation and thinks the gun might be needed. After its broken in, the trigger pull is very light (much lighter than a J frame) and the grip is well designed to absorb some recoil. And like I said, it's the most ammo flexible gun I have ever seen.

The only downside is they are spendy - I paid $500 at my LGS; they are $515+transfer fee at Buds. Not cheap, but that is one gun I don't think I'll ever sell. In 20 years when my arthritis is in full bloom, I have a feeling that LCR327 will be my primary CCW.

Finally, when is Smith going to reintroduce the 632!!!!
I have been interested in the LCR .327 for the exact reason you say here. I am just worried that the ammo will all be gone a few years from now. From my perspective, the .327 Mag does not seem to have caught on as much as Ruger would have liked when they chambered the LCR for it. It is an interesting round, however and I would love to shoot one one day.