View Single Post

Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 PM

Liked 59 Times in 41 Posts

Every squib I've seen in .38 Spec. has been due to bullet tension in the case. The primer itself going off starts the bullet moving before complete ignition of the powder creating a much larger volume for the powder to build up pressure. Make sure your sizing die is sizing your brass to hold the bullet tight. You shouldn't be able to push the bullet in farther with your thumb or by pushing the bullet against your bench. The 38 case with a small charge of powder already has a large interior case space. I prefer a bulkier powder for 38 Special too. The small charge of a fine grained powder and the powder could be up front behind the bullet, all back next to the case head, or lying in the bottom of the case from front to back. The 38 Special is the squibiest caliber you'll find in reloading. Some .38 cases are thin and sizing dies won't size enough for tight bullet tension. I doubt it's your powder charging unless you did not charge a case. A good roll crimp helps but will not help if the bullet isn't tight to start with.

Last edited by rg1; 07-05-2018 at 11:00 PM.