View Single Post

Old 07-06-2018, 08:19 AM

Liked 83 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
I've read a few posts which share my opinions on the matter (Posts 9, 11, 12, and others). I'm concerned about the initial post with "convincing" someone to get a CCW. For many people, male or female, getting a CCW is a big/major decision right there.

At this point, it may be enough to stop right there.

Depending on the state or locale, it may or may not be necessary to commit to a specific make/model/caliber. Choosing a specific carry-gun just adds to a person's time-money-stress. If a commitment to a specific handgun doesn't need to be selected up-front, then don't go there, yet.

If a specific handgun does need to be selected, perhaps just initially use something to pass any required qualification course. Some locales may have minimum caliber requirements, too.

The situation in this thread seems to be different from a female significant other who says, "I'm interested in guns, too. Help me get my CCW as it's something I decided I want. Secondly, I'm open to revolvers, semiautos, or both (some folks will already want a specific type and brand), and want to be as proficient as possible with this huge commitment, responsibility, and lifestyle change."

I'm wondering if the female is just saying yes to getting the CCW to avoid or end the discussion.

My only response to this comment is this: I am by no means forcing my girlfriend to carry a gun. I too believe that doing that is wrong. However, I do tell her that I think she should think about it. Why? Because I love her, and it is important to me that she have some sort of protection at all times. Where we live and spend much of our time, the police response time is somewhere around 30-45 minutes. There is also a new neighbor who has made it clear that he may be a danger. That is all of the detail I will go into on that.

I don’t think I put enough emphasis on the fact that she is going to be choosing her carry gun. She is going to shoot ALL of my guns, autos and revolvers, big and tiny. Whatever gun she decides she wants. I will pay for it. If she wants to switch later, I will pay for that one too. I am not trying to force her into a J frame, but I don’t see anything wrong with a woman carrying a J frame, especially a woman who WANTS protection, but is not interested in learning the details of operating an auto. The original post was more in response to the online reviews and articles that say that women should never carry a j frame. I am not saying that I am forcing my girlfriend to carry one, I just don’t think that it should be discouraged any more than any other gun.