View Single Post

Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 AM

Liked 1,192 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
I don't buy bullets but I do cast my own, have since 1985. I use the traditional lyman 450 luber/sizer along with the tumble lube alox & 45/45/10. Started powder coating my own cast bullets in 2014.

The alox, 45/45/10 & pc (powder coat) use a lee push thru sizer (if needed).

The pc coating is a lot cleaner to use/shoot and doesn't gum up the reloading dies like the 45/45/10, alox & traditional lubes.

You can use softer alloys when casting your own bullets if you pc them. I've ran full house 357/44mags/9mm's with +/- 9bhn alloy with excellent results/accuracy.

PC'd bullets tend to have higher velocities than their traditional lubed or plated counterparts. Typical increase in velocity is 2% for traditional cast/lubed/sized and more for pc vs plated.

It's easier to find accurate loads with the soft pc'd bullets compared to their traditional lubed/sized counterparts & plated bullets.

At the end of the day the pd's bullets run cleaner, are not pressure dependent for the alloy of the bullet & are faster for the same load. A win/win/win that makes for quality range time.

500+ round range session using 125gr pc'd bullets/1100fps+ 9mm loads.

It took 1 wet patch (hoppe's #9) and 1 dry patch to clean the bbl. No brushing needed/required.

200 round range session using 158gr pc'd bullets/15,000+psi 38spl load. Didn't bother to clean anything.

While harbor freight pc will work it pays to spend the extra coin ($$$) and get quality power. Top of the line powder is finer, is easier to get to stick and the coats are flatter/evener.
So your post now leads me to the next logical question about getting the best powder. As I read these posts and beings that I am kind of a do-it-yourself kind of guy and have the lead, I think there is an obvious next step. Just have to educate myself a bit more.