View Single Post

Old 07-06-2018, 11:59 AM

Liked 16,951 Times in 3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k22fan View Post
For me serrated edges are good for cutting bread but nothing else. I'll admit they might be better than a dull straight edge at getting a cut started in something like a sausage skin but why not just sharpen the straight edge?

To be sharpened at home one side of a serrated edge has to be flat so it can be rubbed on a stone. If the serrations are ground into both sides you are **** out of luck.

Now you know why when I see serrated edges for sale, no matter how low the price, I turn my back and leave them for buyers who like them. A bargain on an item that you will not be happy with is no bargain.

Edit to respond to kwslke's reply: If I think I might have any need for a saw I take one of my knives that has a saw as one of its blades. While the saws on inexpensive Swiss Army Knives are very effective cutting wood longer folding knives are better because they provide a longer saw stroke. Knives with the one hand opening lock blades you like can be found with additional saw blades if you hunt for them. When I spliced eyes into my ship's new 4 inch nylon mooring lines my Case Folding Hunter's straight edge easily cut through them. While I do not try to show off cutting dangling ropes with a saber like slash I do not understand the often posted need for a serrated edge to cut rope.
Spyderco's serrations are ground on one side. The technique is to use the edge of a fine stone at ~ 20 degrees (40 degree Sharpmaker setting) on the serrations then a few strokes on the flat side at 0 degrees (hand alignment). Attached are pictures of my Spyderedge Endura'a blade. By the way, most of the time I carry a knife with a plain edge full flat grind and I'd only use a serrated knife to field dress game if that was all I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spyderedge 2 rs.jpg (22.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Spyderedge 1 rs.jpg (23.0 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by kwselke; 07-06-2018 at 04:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: