View Single Post

Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM

Liked 29,109 Times in 14,073 Posts

There have been Saturday Night Specials around for almost as long as there have been handguns, but not by that name. For the last 50 or so years, a SNS is considered to be low in cost and made predominately from zinc alloy die castings, and by reputation, made mainly for sale to the criminal class.

I have owned two Jennings pistols. The first one I had was a .22 I bought on sale at some discount store back in the early 1980s. I don't remember the price, but I think about $50. I found it to be highly unreliable with any type or brand of .22 ammunition. It jammed more than it fired. I sold it shortly thereafter for about what I paid for it. The second Jennings was a .380 which I bought back in the early 2000s. I bought it from a neighbor who had never fired it. It came with two new full boxes of Winchester .380 ammunition. I gave him $75. As I stated earlier, it worked fine for firing the first box. After that, strange things started happening. After some looking, I found the problem. The firing pin hole had been peened down preventing the firing pin from protruding. There was a depression the diameter of the primer around the firing pin hole in breech face of the alloy slide. I drilled out the hole, but that turned out to be only a temporary solution, and I soon gave up on a fix. The slide alloy is just too soft to handle the .380 cartridge. I still have it somewhere as I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. It would have been a good personal protection gun if it had never been fired for practice. 50 rounds is a fairly short lifespan for any handgun. I think the Jennings was later sold under the Bryco and Jiminez brand names, no idea if they are still made.

I once had a neighbor who offered to give me his .25 Raven. I declined but wish I hadn't. I am sort of fond of .25 pistols. My normal carry gun is a Galesi .25 which is very reliable with CCI Blazer ammunition. I don't even know it's in my pants pocket.

Last edited by DWalt; 07-06-2018 at 01:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: