View Single Post

Old 07-06-2018, 04:47 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,044 Times in 4,531 Posts

Quote:
I'm not bringing any revolver into a actual gun fight.

I sure hope the word COMBAT does not become overused like TACTICAL. Too late???
It is not too late. "Combat" will not become overused like "tactical" because the latter is a euphemism for the former and far more politically correct. Seriously. When you say "combat" today you're headed for a fight. When you say "tactical" you are in the netherworld of hi-tech sunglasses, rip-stop BDU-type clothing, Kydex smart phone covers, electronic sights, and camouflage clothing that you can wear to dinner.

All sorts of fine folks want to be equipped with tactical gear. A whole lot less want to be equipped for combat.

So, that amusement aside, my definition of a "combat magnum" begins with the implication that I am discussing revolvers. While I guess there must be some pistols out there in so-called "magnum" pistol calibers that someone literally calls a "magnum" the term is quite closely associated with revolvers, not Bren Tens and their progeny. So my reaction to "combat magnum" is a wheelgun.

In the past I would have just said a "Model 19" and let it go at that. However, as much as I love my Model 19s, I think I would choose an L-frame to take into a combat situation, preferably a 3" or 4" M686+. Same amount of rounds as 1911 so that covers the round count and so easy to use, easy to carry in a belt holster, etc. Good balance, accurate, etc.

I don't use them for EDC because they're too large and heavy but if I was headed to a fight and was bringing a sidearm that's the combat magnum I would choose.

Original choice:

The Following 4 Users Like Post: