View Single Post

Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,474 Times in 2,027 Posts

I have observed little difference between men and women when it comes to carrying a firearm. We all have our differences as well as preferences, and that should determine what is carried.
What I have noticed is that it seems fewer women carry a firearm. I have met many women that have been turned off by small light handguns that are packing a whollop to the wrist. Heck, I do not enjoy that either. If a man or woman carries, IMHO they should be proficient with their carry piece and well versed in firearm safety. If they are not, it is unlikely a firearm will provide much protection, and could actually become somewhat of a hazard. That takes more than one or two trips to the range. So, why make it a painful process? Get something that is comfortable to use and get good with. My wife tried a bunch and has a preference for a K-frame. She does not like my J-frames (too small), nor does she have any desire to carry a shorty 1911 (too big), but the K-frames "fit" (just right). .38 Spl. is her choice of caliber - she worked up from .22 LR. The whole ordeal is not an overnight process, and if things are forced, it makes it a unwelcome ordeal that never really works.
In my opinion it is not wise to 'convince' someone to carry. Simply point out that it is their right to do so (in many places), and if they are interested, they will pursue the issue. Making your own informed decisions about what and how to carry also goes quite a long way in the process of "making it work". None of us seem to like to be told what is best for us on this topic, do we?
The Following 2 Users Like Post: