View Single Post

Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,718 Times in 247 Posts
Default Three Smiths walked into my LGS....

It sounds like the start of a joke, doesn’t it? But my LGS called and said I better get down there, they had some Smiths come in that they thought I would like to see. AND they were giving me the first shot at them. So of course I headed over.

First up, a 41 mag, model 57-1. Blued, anib, tools, target hammer, target grips, target trigger. White outline with a red ramp front sight. It looked perfect. So, how much I asked. $800 was the answer. Ok with me. Done. No negotiation. My first long tube! Very elegant. Very nice finish. Pics below. The 41 also came with a presentation case.

Second box I opened was another beautiful gun, a 44 mag. White outline, red ramp. TT, TH and target grips, a nice light brown. There was an original sticker on the bottom of the grips. #23 it says. 6 inch barrel. Again, almost new. 3 screw, a 29-3. Just a couple microscopic scratches near the thumb latch. Matching box and all tools and gun was carefully wrapped in original wax paper. This gun was also $800. OK, no negotiation. Pic below.

The third box contained a nickel 19-5. Matching box, tools, & .paper. 4 inch barrel. Nickel. TT, TH and light brown target grips. 3 screw. As good or better condition than the other two. Red ramp, white outline. Lots of case coloring on all three guns. He wanted $700. Again, I thought that was a good price. Pic s below. I can say that my pictures aren’t good. Guns are better than pics show.

Sooo, 3 questions. What do you think of the guns? Did I do well on price? I think so. Should I have tried to negotiate, or did I do the right thing by taking his offered price? He did call me first. I know I’m in the wrong forum section, but this is where my friends/mentors hang out. Last year I was ambivalent about a 28-0 from the same store and the sage advice I got was to not only buy the gun, but cultivate a good relationship with them. I think these deals show I’ve established that.

By the way, I’m really a fan of 5 screws, so these guns are too new for my tastes. But they were just so minty. No muzzle wear, barely a turn line, strike plates look new, and chambers and barrels totally clean.

Thoughts, comments? Thanks Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LGS1.jpg (182.9 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg LGS2.jpg (214.0 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg LGS4.jpg (212.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg LGS5.jpg (203.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg LGS6.jpg (100.3 KB, 298 views)