View Single Post

Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 508 Times in 101 Posts

Hello Thinnes,

Nice work... and a couple of comments as you requested.

First, as mentioned above by a couple of folks, if you are happy...that's it. (I'd be very happy in your circumstance too.) Quality speaks for itself.

And I really agree with Hondo44 and SPEEDGUNNER's posts #5 and 6. I have a super good relationship with my local gun shop, and we've done a ton of business over the years. Here's the most common sequence of events for me...

I'll get a call from the store, or I'll just happen to stop in. I go by at least once a week.
There can be one or more guns that I am sincerely interested in.

Sometimes they will have a price tag on them, sometimes not.

I examine the gun(s), and give my most honest condition assessment. (The shop knows I'm really only interested in high condition pieces.)

I will say to the owner / manager, "This model X is really very nice. I could use it for my collection. What would be MY price out-the-door?" Emphasis added to "MY". Also, I'm friendly to all the employees, but I only talk $$$ with the main guy.

They know from my previous purchases that there will be only one price given to me, and I expect it to be the best they can do. I will either immediately accept the deal, or POLITELY decline. I will never haggle back and forth for a little cheaper... and they know that too. No talk about, "Oh these are selling for low $$$ on the internet, bla, bla, bla."

When you ask for the best price, and then it's NOT their best price, it becomes a winning - losing situation from there.

I would estimate that I get the gun I want, at an acceptable price over 80% of the time. It's easy for me, it's easy for the shop, and everybody's happy.

In the situation you came across, with three guns in the mix, I'd probably emphasize that if the price is right, I'll take all three guns. (Like Hondo44 suggested.)

Once again, I feel both the personal and commercial relationship with the gun shop is important. I'm thinking about many deals, over the past, and still to come.

Best wishes, and congratulations on your new S&Ws.

Roger aka Mr. Wonderful

Last edited by Mr. Wonderful; 07-07-2018 at 06:18 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: