Thread: Woods Revolver
View Single Post

Old 07-07-2018, 09:44 AM

Liked 2,202 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
My most common woods-loafing guns before stainless handguns became readily available were S&W Models 34, 17, and 19, and I had a couple of Colt Commanders in Super .38 and .45 Auto. I only took the Commanders if I was not planning to shoot. Couldn’t afford to lose the brass. If planning to shoot, I always took one of the .22s. Later I had Models 63, 651, 66, 629, and eventually a 60-4 and 631.

The gun I used by far the most was an old Colt .45 Commander that I bought in parts and took home in a cigar box. Yeah, it was missing a few parts, but nothing major. Once I got it back together it shot very well, so I sent it away for some more highly-skilled work. I had it fitted with a government-model grip safety, King-Tappan sights, match bushing, trigger job, and the whole gun, except for the sights, hammer, and sear, was hard-chrome plated. The old King’s Gun Works company did the work. The plating job wasn’t perfect, but it was good enough.

As RPG said, it was/is a perfect gun to take along outdoors, or indoors, for that matter. Light, flat, sufficiently powerful and reliable, and with the hard-chrome it was maintenance-free for days at a time.

If I had to pick a revolver, these days I’d probably consider the 329PD. Wouldn’t be planning on shooting it much.
Please tell me you still have the .45Commander! If so, Pics Please!!!

It's pieces like that... that really catch my eye as someone/previous owner really loved it. I have 4 vintage "pieces" from estate sales that you can tell the previous owner thought a lot of the pistol. I always show them the respect that I think the prior owner would be proud of...