View Single Post

Old 07-07-2018, 10:01 PM

Liked 9,091 Times in 3,362 Posts

Nice one,,
The sights are worth what you paid for the rifle if I read the other post correctly.

Use .22 Standard Velocity ammunition only in the 1897 rifles. The bolt design is the early style with the sharp corner intersection of the locking shoulder and the bolt body itself.
They often crack right there if HS ammunition is used in them. The early Model 39 used the same bolt design. Replacements are just not around.
The Model 39A made the simple change to a radiused corner to strengthen the part for HS ammo.

You have a later (post 1910?) style ejector on the rifle, so the part is not free to fall out when the the rifle is TD and then the bolt removed.
The earlier style was made just so,,the ejector simply sat in it's milled out slot and was captured by the bolt being in place. Once the bolt was removed for 'cleaning' the little part can simply fall free.,,and many did.
Two of mine were missing the ejector when I got them. Repro's are available!

The two small screws along the top edge-left side of the frame are holding the ejector assembly securely in the rifle.

Marlin used to enclose a small leather covered spring steel clip to slide over the ejector and collapse it down flat when the bolt was removed so cleaning rods and jags wouldn't snag on it and damage it.
The leather covering was to protect the rifles outside finish on the frame as it was slid into place and off again. Kind of a rare item in itself.

Very nice rifle.

I have a few model 97's. Fun old guns to take to the range.