View Single Post

Old 07-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,260 Posts

I'm new here and I don't have any desire to get involved in some very pointless pissing match.

However, I have to partially but strongly disagree with the view that semi-autos fail often and revolvers never jam. Some semi-auto fail a lot and some are just ***. A decent semi-auto that the user has proven reliable on the range will be nearly as reliable as a range proven revolver. Of course neither a *** revolver or a *** semi-auto would be something to trust your life on.

And yes, I have seen S & W revolvers and some others lock up on the range and I've had it happen to me. Granted it's less likely with a revolver. However, in most cases a semi-auto can be put back in service with the ole tap, rack and go, whereas a locked up revolver will at least require a trip to the range bench, but likely more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm mostly a revolver guy but as much as I hate the aesthetics of Glocks, I've never personally seen one fail that couldn't be attributed to really bad reloads. Sure, I know it's happened. Neither my old 659 or it's companion 669 ever failed and that's after a whole bunch of rounds, especially the 669 which was my primary back-up and off duty for over 25 years as well as serving as my duty gun while on the Marine Unit, and it suffered the associated regular practice and qualifications as well as being loaned out to others for the auto transition course. Now I did try a 645 and subsequently a 4506. I thought they were both *** and got rid of them.

On the other hand, after I'd become an official dinosaur, on range day I beat the younger guys with their wonder 9s on the dueling tree with my 629 or 686 while using a quarter or less of ammunition. This happened on several occasions and they never beat me. However, I'm sure there had to be at least a couple of young guys on the Dept with semi-autos that could have smoked me.

All that to say a good proven example of either should be just fine while unproven poor quality versions of either should be discarded.

Carry what you can afford, feel comfortable with, shoot reasonably well and that you have proven reliable on the range.