View Single Post

Old 07-08-2018, 07:24 PM

Liked 71 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPM1A View Post
Once I had a bunch of squibs with 45 ammo reloaded with W231. Missing charges and low charges. Loaded a batch while watching the charge bar on my Dillon 550 cycle every time. Still had squibs. So I emptied the powder hopper to see if the powder was at fault. Nope. The problem was a moth lodged in the outlet of the hopper partially blocking the powder flow! How it got there haven't got a clue.

Might be the issue.

How would you not notice that before loading? I’ve been using an RL550b for about ten years. Every loading session (even if I’m just loading more of exactly what I loaded last session) starts with calibrating/verifying the powder charge. I also empty the powder hopper after each session. So to start, I fill the hopper, charge and dump about 10 cases back into the hopper. Then I dispense and weigh 5 charges combined and divide by 5 to get the avg charge weight. If a bug had made its home in the bottom of the powder measure, I would think that would be noticed (though now that I think about it, hopefully combing and averaging 5 drops wouldn’t mask the issue).
The Following 4 Users Like Post: